Three International Towers, Level 24
300 Barangaroo Avenue
Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: +61 2 9299 8882
Ned Shelton, Founding Partner
Michael Clarke, Senior Manager
Why Sheltons Australia?
Working exclusively with internationally operating businesses
Sheltons – who are we?
Sheltons is a highly professional and well-established independent accounting, advisory, and educational firm - working exclusively with internationally operating businesses.
We offer quality service to clients from our offices in Australia, Denmark, Malta, the United Kingdom (and soon Milan).
Sheltons was established by Ned Shelton in 1994. Since the early days, Sheltons has delivered quality services to international clients, covering accounting, taxation, administration, law and general business advice. Further, since 1997 Sheltons has conducted conferences and courses on international tax throughout the world.
More recently, Sheltons has commenced providing specialist international expat relocation services.
Our primary services can be summarised as follows.
Accounting and business advisory services: We provide a comprehensive range of services within business administration and financial management. Services cover from payroll administration and bookkeeping to advanced accounting, preparing full annual reports and providing business advice.
Tax services: We offer a full range of tax advisory and tax compliance services. We have extensive experience providing local advice, multi-jurisdictional tax advice and advice on tax treaty issues and cross-border tax efficient structuring.
Legal services: We assist with a variety of company and commercial legal matters as well as HR and immigration related matters.
International expat relocation services: We assist the employer with the relocation of their valuable staff, by providing a highly professional and personalised service focused on the expat and, where relevant, the expat’s accompanying family.
International Tax Training: Sheltons-SITTI delivers a variety of international taxation courses on an ‘in-house’ as well as an ‘open’ course basis, catering to the tax staff of large corporations, tax specialists at professional advisory firms and others with a tax interest or tax responsibility. Our courses are all designed for international audiences and the subjects are exclusively areas we work with as international tax consultants.
Sheltons Australia – our UK focus
We have a very strong focus on UK-based businesses operating in Australia. This has been a major influence in our decision to open an office in London. The London office has been in operation for some years.
We have already begun to employ Australian qualified professionals in our London office.
We are a multinational team including individuals from Australia, the UK, Asia and continental Europe.
For an Australian firm we at Sheltons Australia are very familiar with the UK, from the tax and company law aspects through to business knowledge, business culture, history, geography and politics.
We are very frequently in the UK, visiting clients and potential clients in all areas.
Our independence – and referrals
We refuse to become a member of any accounting firm network, and indeed have not been a member of any such network since 1997. This facilitates a smooth and stress-free working relationship with our UK-based clients’ accountants.
Further, some 80% of our work comes as referrals, from around the world, from accounting and other professional firms, banks, government agencies and the like. We have the utmost respect for the referrer’s relationship with their client.
Sheltons Australia – our focus and our size, and our efficiency
We are a small, independent firm, with more than 20 years’ experience working only with internationally operating businesses – indeed our Australian office works exclusively with inbound investors into Australia.
Consequently, we have amassed a wealth of experience of use to businesses investing in Australia, experience one might normally only find in the very largest firms.
As a small, independent, specialised firm we are able to deliver quality services exceptionally efficiently.
Sheltons Australia – our services
Sheltons Australia focuses on providing a wide range of highly professional accounting, tax, administration, business advisory and expat relocation services to foreign companies doing business in or with Australia, and for individuals moving to Australia.
We are something of a ‘one-stop shop’ - we provide initial and ongoing tax advice and legal assistance, we register the foreign company as a branch or form a local Australian subsidiary, and we provide the regular tax, legal, accounting, payroll and administrative services - allowing the client to concentrate on their business.
Our expat relocation service assists the employers in ensuring that staff of all levels sent to Australia are professionally looked after, ensuring a smooth relocation – enabling the expat to focus on their work.
We are always happy to assist, from the phase of merely exploring opportunities in Australia right through to helping those exporting to Australia and those acquiring or establishing a fully-fledged operating business in Australia.
Our primary services are outlined below.
Accounting services and business advice
Full range of tax consulting and compliance services, from extensive advice on complex international tax issues to the preparation of tax returns for staff
GST (VAT) advice and administration
Company and commercial law advice and assistance
Legal services in the HR and immigration fields
Company secretarial services
Expat relocation services, covering from assisting with visas, opening bank accounts and finding accommodation through to advising and recommending cultural groups and schools
Payroll services including tax advice to employers and employees
Permanent establishment issues, taxation of employees, responsibilities as employer, the need to register a branch, etc.
Registration of branches of foreign companies in Australia as well as subsidiaries
Market research and market entry advice
Advice and assistance in relation to exports to Australia (especially on GST and customs duty aspects as well as licences, warehousing and distribution)
Periodic bookkeeping and financial reporting
Advice and assistance in relation to on-line selling
Year-end compliance and reporting under IFRS or Local GAAP
Case studies - examples of how we assist clients
Client example 1
- The client had made a distribution agreement with a major Australian retail chain – then we were brought in - the local German tax adviser to the company recommended that they use Sheltons Australia for a variety of services
- We provided advice on the best legal form and the associated timing and costs of each alternative form
- We then set up the chosen entity (a branch) and opened the bank account
- We registered the branch for all necessary taxes, and as an employer
- Today we provide the registered office and necessary ‘Australian-resident agent’
- We do the quarterly GST and payroll administration
- We do the annual company tax return
- We provide an extensive array of advice from time-to-time, covering from employment law to GST to Australian company tax issues and customs duties
- Sales in Australia are about AUD 2,000,000 (GBP 1,000,000).
Client example 2
A European-based investor was interested in acquiring commercial office buildings in Australia for about AUD 100,000,000 (GBP 50,000,000)
- We were brought in by a local European adviser to the client, who knew us because he had attended a course on international tax run by Ned Shelton in Europe some years before
- We provided comprehensive tax and other advice on a range of aspects relevant to the tax efficient investment in Australian property, for an investor based in that particular European country
- We set up a local Australian holding company, three property-owning companies and a service company, and opened the bank accounts
- Today we act as director and public officer and provide the registered office for each
- We do the accounts, GST, payroll administration, employment law and the tax return
- We attend to all company secretarial matters
- We provide advice when needed, on tax, legal and other areas
- We help find suppliers (insurers, specialist lawyers, etc.)
Client example 3
Client based in the UK was planning on commencing operations in Australia, but required advice in respect of employees
- We advised the client in relation to the sponsorship of existing UK-based employees to obtain a visa to work in Australia
- We additionally provided comprehensive advice on Australian employment standards and employer obligations, including drafting bespoke Employment Contracts for all employees
- We then provided ongoing assistance with any employee issues, including advice in respect of employee leave entitlements, termination and redundancy
Client example 4
Client based in Asia referred to us by a government trade agency from that country
- The Australian customs officers had seized goods exported to Australia (sold by the client online) due to suspected under declaring of the customs value
- We obtained full details from the client, spoke to customs and met with customs
- We then provided the client with a detailed list of steps to get themselves back in ‘the good books’
Client example 5
UK-based client needed advice on acquiring an Australian domain name (.com.au) so they could conduct online sales to Australians using an Australian website
- The client was referred to us by the Australian office of a UK Government trade agency
- We advised the client, and later went on to arrange for trade mark registration
Client example 6
Client based in the USA had expanded to Australia and was interested in commencing operations from its own commercial premises in Queensland
- We assisted with review and advice on the proposed Commercial Tenancy Agreement for the premises
- We liaised with the Letting Agent and Landlord in relation to proposed amendments to the Commercial Tenancy Agreement to ensure it was on terms satisfactory to the client
- We reviewed and advised in relation to Service Contracts for the client and the premises
- We conducted a review of the existing client Terms and Conditions of Service to confirm that they were in line with Australian legislative requirements
Client example 7
UK-based SME in the IT area needed advice and assistance concerning setting up an Australian operation
- The client was referred to us by the Australian office of a UK Government trade agency
- We advised the client, including on GST, and later went on to set up the company
- We provide the legally required Australia resident director, public officer and registered office, ongoing GST and company tax advice and compliance services
- We provide a full range of payroll administration services and all accounting services, liaising closely with the parent company in the UK
Client example 8
UK-based SME exporting goods to Australia sought our advice on Australian and UK tax
- The client was referred to us by a medium-sized regional UK accounting firm
- We advised the client on whether their presence in Australia would constitute a taxable permanent establishment (taking into account the Australia-UK double tax treaty), whether they would need to register as a foreign company under the Australian Corporations Act 2001 and whether they would be required to register for GST in Australia
- We further advised the client on the labour law and tax aspects in connection with the transfer of a UK employee to Australia, including advice on the Fringe Benefits Tax regime, as well as on the tax aspects of providing car allowances, return air fares and private health insurance
- We assisted the expat in various ways, including with opening a bank account, setting up a superannuation fund, obtaining a Tax File Number, drivers licence issues, obtaining a mobile phone on subscription, Internet access options, finding short-term accommodation, advised on entitlement to Medicare and on related healthcare matters
© Copyright Sheltons 2020
All rights reserved. The information contained in the leaflet may be shared, quoted or otherwise disseminated and/or reproduced provided that due reference to Sheltons is made and its copyright is not violated.