The UK and Australia share a longstanding relationship, as both partners and allies.

The British High Commission represents the British Government in its relations with the Australian Government and present British policies to the Australian Government and to Australians. We report and explain Australian policies to the British Government and support British interests as well as co-ordinating the political, economic, environmental and commercial activities of the British government.

We have consulates-general in Sydney and Melbourne and consulates in Brisbane and Perth. We also have a network of honorary consuls in Adelaide, Alice Springs, Cairns, Darwin and Hobart who we call on to provide urgent assistance when needed. With around 1.2 million Britons living in Australia and over 670,000 visiting every year, the consulates support British nationals if they need assistance. 


Out-of-hours emergency assistance
British nationals who urgently need consular assistance outside normal office hours should call their nearest consulate and follow the prompts for emergency assistance.

Travel advice
For information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling in Australia, see our latest travel advice:

For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit: Our consulates cannot handle individual enquiries about passport applications.

If your passport is unavailable, see how to report a lost or stolen passport:

Emergency travel documents
We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. See: If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, you should contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible.

For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment at your nearest consulate using the links below. Please call your nearest consulate for advice before making an appointment if:

  • you have never applied for a British passport before

  • your most recent passport expired more than ten years ago

  • you are applying on behalf of a child

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. 

The High Commission and our consulates around Australia do not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see:

Consular registration
You do not need to register with your nearest consulate. Please read and subscribe to updates on the travel advice page:

Notarial services
Our consulates around Australia are unable to carry out notarial acts under the Commissioner of Oaths Act 1889, and on instruction from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in London.

This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, or the legalising of documents, please contact a notary public:

Consular fees
We charge fees for some of our services: a list is available on the website:

List of medical facilities/practitioners
We provide information on medical facilities/practitioners for British nationals who need those services:

How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds

  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital:

  • help people with mental illness

  • do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained

  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping

  • contact family or friends for you if you want

  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters

[Source -]

Contact Form